DiaCarta is seeking a highly motivated, experienced, and interactive Senior Scientist/Group Leader for NGS Assay Development to lead one of the key areas in R&D. The new project leader will initiate, direct and execute pre-clinical scientific research and product development activities. The activities will be focused on developing and launching new applications for IVD cancer diagnostics. The successful candidate will have outstanding attention to detail, enjoy working in a fast-paced multidisciplinary team environment, and have exceptional hands-on laboratory skills. The successful candidate should be able to apply a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to assay design, assay development, and troubleshooting. This is a full-time role in Richmond, CA and you will be reporting to the SVP of R&D.
- Contributes very substantially and intellectually to research and development.
- Develops new molecular biology assays or immunoassay and optimizes existing assays.
- Leads projects to create and develop novel nucleic acid-based diagnostic tests or immunoassay, including planning, feasibility testing, protocol development, optimization, verification, validation, and launch.
- Responsible for projects and associated timelines and deliverables.
- Thoroughly comprehends the objectives and vision of the work.
- Independently generates, develops, and advances new ideas.
- Independently designs and executes moderate to high complexity experiments.
- Performs basic data analysis.
- Will manage Scientists and Research Associates.
- Documents research progress under a Quality Management System.
- Interacts with on-site CLIA lab, R&D groups, product management, commercial and external collaborators.
- Communicates progress directly with colleagues and senior managers.
- Ph.D. in molecular biology or closely related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2-6 years of industry experience.
- Liquid biopsy cancer diagnostics, or protein immunoassay and assay development experience are a must.
- Experience in IVD assay development is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Track record of originating, developing, and productizing novel nucleic acid techniques and assays.
- Proven success in managing collaborative and individual projects, previous experience managing scientists and research associates a plus.
- Able to provide a high level of leadership to Scientists and junior staff.
- Demonstrated success in applying independent scientific judgment in experimental design and analysis.
- Experience with nucleic acid technologies relating to NGS, multiplex qPCR, digital PCR, and/or biomarker such as immunoassay.
- Expert in cfDNA, DNA/RNA, protein isolation and purification, NGS cancer panel design, assay development, and optimization.
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Adept with Excel and basic statistical analysis.
- Bioinformatics skills such as programming (e.g. PERL, python) and data mining are a plus.
- Skilled at writing clear plans, reports, and SOPs.
- Experience with Design Control is a plus.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Duties are typically performed in-office & laboratory settings (at least 30% of the time in the lab).
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
DiaCarta Corporation and all DiaCarta Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law.